We are thrilled to share with you the newest project from our lead sponsor Vega, entitled Thrive Kitchen.
Thrive Kitchen is the latest in a serious of educational videos and lessons through Vega’s website, Thrive Forward. For those of you who are new to plant-based nutrition, or those who are seasoned pros will find these lessons, and all their tremendous recipes, very useful.
Even when you understand how clean, plant-based nutrition can help you feel and perform better, living what you’ve learned can feel like a challenge. The Kitchen Edition of Thrive Forward will show you how to move beyond salads and smoothies, to make quick, easy, delicious plant-based meals at home, every day.
Brendan Brazier teams up with Registered Holistic Nutrition, Peggy K and world-renowned culinary experts—including Chef Susan Feniger and Chef Matthew Kenney—in the five progressive video lessons of the Thrive Forward Kitchen Edition. With the Thrive Kitchen series, you receive expert culinary guidance to make plant-based dishes that are not only delicious and nutritious, but also fold in the health benefits of clean eating.
New Lessons include:
- Redefining the Plate: Learn how to make plant-based main dishes that are more than just sides without the meat – effortless casseroles, hearty stews and quick stir-fries for nutritionally-complete meals.
- Clean Substitutions 101: Use basic substitutions to transform conventional recipes into cleaner, plant-based versions with the same great taste plus the nutrition the body craves.
- Discover New Go-to Meals: Use simple staples to build foolproof recipes, making it easy to incorporate seasonal ingredients for creative dishes throughout the year.
- Reinventing Comfort Food: Reinvent comfort foods like mac and cheese, pizza, tacos and even meatloaf that taste better than the original and raise the bar on nutrition.
- Demystifying Raw Food: Great food starts with great ingredients-local, in-season, and organic produce. Learn easy, no-cook techniques like soaking, sprouting, and ways to play with texture to open a whole new world of flavor and nutrition.
The Kitchen Edition of Thrive Forward will give you the confidence to add more, clean, plant-based meals to your life at the pace that’s right for you.
- 2 avocados, mashed
- 1 cup hemp milk (or almond milk)
- 1 cup maple syrup (or raw agave)
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- If preferred cool, chill in glasses or bowls before serving
Adapted with permission from Kitchen Cures (Penguin) by Peggy Kotsopoulos
For the filling:
- 2 cups walnuts
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
For the taco seasoning*:
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 1/2 to 1 chipotle pepper packed in adobo sauce
- 2 Tbsp of adobo sauce from the jar of chipotle peppers
- 1/4 cup water
For the taco shells:
- 1 head bibb lettuce, leaves separated, OR
- Sprouted grain or gluten-free organic corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted
- Red onion, finely diced
- Tomato, diced
- Sunflower sprouts
- Red cabbage, shredded
- Cilantro leaves
Make the taco seasoning:
- Stir all ingredients together well in a small bowl. Store in a tightly sealed jar.
Make the taco filling:
- Soak the walnuts in water for about an hour. Drain thoroughly.
- Process soaked walnuts to the texture of cooked ground beef/turkey.
- With the processor running, pour in the olive oil. Scrape into a serving bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons of the taco seasoning*.
Make the sauce:
- Blend all sauce ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth. Scrape into a serving bowl. (Start with half a chipotle pepper, taste, and add more to increase spicy heat to your preference).
- Spoon some of the walnut mix into a lettuce leaf.
- Spoon some of the sauce over the walnuts and top with toppings of your choice.
- * You will not need all the taco seasoning for one recipe. Reserve extra seasoning for future use.
Peggy Kotsopoulos is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist who’s energy and passion for her work is infectious. She is the host of television show Peggy K’s Kitchen Cures on Veria Living TV, and author of Kitchen Cures (Penguin). She is also a returning guest on NBC’s Today Show, The Talk on CBS and resident nutritionist on The Steven and Chris show, airing on CBC and ABC’s Live Well network. And as a spokesperson, she’s a huge lover of Vega! Her press coverage, lectures and recipes have spanned across the globe inspiring and educating others on how to live a healthier, happier and more vibrant life.