By: Heather Millbach
This was one of those recipes that I cannot wait to make again! My goal was to make a muffin to grab in the morning that would work for before or after a workout and be packed with nutritional goodness. Our delicious Vega Vanilla Chai protein powder was the perfect compliment to these. This recipe makes 18-24 muffins depending on how big you make them. That may seem like a lot but for us, it wasn’t enough…the kids thanked me for the “cupcakes”. Make these people. Today!
- 1 cup Vega Protein Powder (vanilla chai)
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 2 teaspoon non-aluminum baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 15 oz can of organic pumpkin puree
- 1 1/3 cup sweetener (stevia, brown sugar or coconut palm sugar)
- 4 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 flax egg (2 Tablespoon ground flaxseed + 6 Tablespoons water)
- 1 cup oats (regular, not quick)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 3 tbsps all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- drops of water until
Combine flour, protein powder, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl.
In another bowl whisk together pumpkin puree, coconut oil, flax eggs, spices, sugar, and salt until smooth, then whisk in flour mixture until just combined.
Mix all crumb topping ingredients together except water to form crumbly mixture. Add 1-3 drops of water until mixture blends together and is not too dry nor too watery, should still be crumbly.