This soup came about when I opened the fridge and nothing but a package of vegan sausage and a big, beautiful bunch of kale were staring back at me. Add in a couple cans of spicy diced tomatoes, a can of creamy white beans and you have a deliciously dreamy bowl of goodness! Everything happens for a reason people…this soup is an answer to ‘whats for dinner?’ tonight. Enjoy! -Heather Millbach ‘
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package vegan sausage, sliced. I used Italian style links like these.
- Dash of crushed red pepper
- 2 stalks finely diced celery
- 2 large diced carrots
- 1 bunch kale, chopped, about 8 to 10 cups chopped
- 4 cups organic vegetable stock
- 2 can (14.5 ounces) spicy diced tomatoes, undrained (I used these)
- 1 can (15 ounces) white beans, such as Great Northern, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Use just one pot! Grab your dutch oven or soup pot and heat over medium heat on stove top. Add olive olive oil and onion. Cook until onion is translucent in color. Then, add garlic. If needed add in a little bit more oil and sliced vegan sausage. While sausage is cooking sprinkle with a dash of crushed red pepper. How much you use is up to your taste! I sprinkle lightly once then again when sausage is nearly cooked. Once sausage has achieved a cooked, browned texture toss in celery, carrots, and kale. Cook for 5-7 minutes before adding in vegetable stock, diced tomatoes, and beans. Season with desired amount of salt and black pepper. Turn heat up and bring to a boil. Stir and lower heat bringing soup to a simmer for 15-20 minutes. Serve with a big slice of crusty bread.