This is just what you were looking for…You have heard that Chia seeds were something you should put into your diet. Dr. Oz says,”They just may be one of the healthiest things around.” Nutritionists call them the Muhammad Ali of Nutrition. Yet, you were left hungry for more info…what the heck ARE they? Why? How?
Here is a quick run down of what, why and how…eat up!
Chia seed is a whole, raw food great for vegans, vegetarians and carnivores alike that has served as a super-food for the Mayans and Aztecs as far back as 3500 B.C. Chia seed is a high quality protein source, which makes it perfect to add to a daily protein shake like or to help amp up any vegan diet. They can be eaten raw. (They have a nice “nutty” flavor.) They can be soaked in fruit juice (in Mexico, they call this “chia fresca”). They’re perfect in oatmeal and puddings. They make an ideal addition to baked goods including breads, cakes and biscuits.
- Help weight loss. Chia seeds are popular for weight loss. They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system. This blockage of calorie absorption makes them a great diet helper.
- Feel fuller faster: They can also help your diet by making you feel full. This is because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel.
- Hydration for athletes: They are also great for athletes because the “chia gel” can hydrate the body.
- Reduce your blood pressure: There’s evidence to suggest they can reduce blood pressure
Are you convinced yet? Really… what’s not to love?? Here is a quick and easy way to enjoy your daily dose of chia.
Coconut Chia Fruit Salad
- 1 Apple, chopped
- 1 Orange, chopped
- 1/4 C Blueberries
- 1/2 C flaked coconut (unsweetened)
- 3 T Coconut nectar or agave
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 2 T Chia
Place all fruit in a bowl. In a smaller bowl whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over fruit.
Based on this recipe at Rawmazing.