Incredibly hearty soup that is fun to eat!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilis do not drain, (you can use tomatoes with garlic and onion or plain as well)
- 15 ounces Pinto beans, rinsed
- 15 ounces Navy beans, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil and 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt, or to taste
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Alphabet Pasta (I used Eden Brand)
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, minced
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Heat up the oil in a medium saucepan and sauté the garlic for 1 minute. Add the onions and sauté 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes (with the liquid) and the beans, water, Italian seasoning, red pepper, and sea salt. Stir, cover and bring to a boil. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the lid and stir in the alphabet pasta. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 10 minutes or until the pasta is done. Just before serving, stir in the basil and black pepper to taste.
recipe adapted from edenfoods.com