Black Bean and Rice Soup
- -1 small onion, diced
- -4 garlic cloves, minced
- -a handful of roasted red pepper (I used jarred to save time), diced
- -1 can of diced tomatoes
- -4-5 cups organic vegetable stock
- -2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- -2 cups cooked brown rice or spanish rice
- -1/2 tsp chipotle flakes (or less if your are heat sensitive)
- -2TBS chili powder
- -2 tsp cumin
- -1/2 tsp dried oregano
- -salt to taste
In a dutch oven or soup pot saute’ onion in a tsp of olive oil until translucent–about 5 minutes.
Add garlic and chipotle flakes, and cook for about 2-3 minutes.
Add the rest of the ingredients.
Simmering this soup for 2-3 hours is great because the flavors come together beautifully but it can be served as soon as it is hot.
Top with vegan sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, and a wedge of lime.