Child #2: Mom, what are you making?
Me: Yummy Vegan Stuffed Tomatoes!
Child #2: There are Yummy Vegans stuffed into those tomatoes???
((Big, Silly grin))
I know, I know…Boooo!
But he is cute and I couldn’t help but giggle. :p
Super Easy and Healthy…enjoy!
- 4 organic vine ripened tomatoes (firm)
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 cup black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 thinly sliced scallions
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper (I used a sweet yellow)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup non-dairy cheese (I used Daiya Pepper jack style shreds)
1. Preheat oven on a Low Broil.
2. Slice tops of tomatoes off, set aside. Using a spoon scoop out the inside much like you would a grapefruit. Drain any excess fluid.
3. Cook brown rice and beans according to package directions. Mix together in a medium size bowl. Add spices, scallion and pepper. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Generously stuff Tomatoes with brown rice & bean mixture….or yummy vegans, you choose.
5. Place tomatoes in oven to Broil (on Low) for 5 minutes.
6. Remove tomatoes from the oven. Turn oven to a High Broil.
7. Sprinkle cheese on top of bean and rice mixture. Return to oven and Broil for 5 more minutes (watch carefully as all ovens vary in broil temp) or until cheese is melted.
8. Serve immediately