This recipe adapted from Healthyhappylife.com
Cheezy Broccoli Bean Fritters
makes 7-9 fritters
- 4 cups minced broccoli (from whole florets)
- 1 1/2 cups cannellini beans, drained from one can
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese (I used a blend of pepper jack and cheddar shreds)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
for frying: 1/4 cup safflower oil
bread crumb coating: panko or fine plain bread crumbs
1. Mince florets in food processor until finely chopped into flaky bits. I used one medium head of broccoli – mostly the florets and a few stems.
2. Add the beans and minced/chopped broccoli to a large mixing bowl. With a large fork or potato masher, mash the beans until at least 75% of them have been mashed together with the broccoli.
3. Add in the garlic powder, apple cider, hemp seeds, hot sauce, nutritional yeast, s and p. Fold in the vegan cheese. Fold together until a moist mixture forms.
4. Preheat a few tablespoons of safflower oil in a large skillet.
5. When the oil is hot, for the mixture into golf ball sized balls and roll in the bread crumbs until well covered – pat down into flatter cakes and place in the hot oil – carefully.
6. Continue until the pan is full – leave about an inch space between each cake for easier flipping. Cook on each side only about 2 minutes – or until toasty brown.
7. Transfer cooked fritters to a paper towel to cool. Serve in about 5 minutes after cooling a bit.
*Store in the fridge and reheat in the oven if desired. You can freeze as well. However, these fritters are best hot off the skillet!